Tuesday, August 10

Brandon Phillips Tells Us How He Really Feels About the Cardinals

Now this is the kind of baseball talk I can get behind. Brandon Phillips of the Reds decided to share his feelings on the Cardinals before their big series against the Cardinals yesterday:

"I'd play against these guys on one leg," Phillips told Hal McCoy, a columnist for the Dayton Daily News. "We have to beat these guys. All they do is bitch and moan about everything, all of them. They're little bitches, all of them. I really hate the Cardinals. Compared to the Cardinals, I love the Chicago Cubs. Let me make this clear: I hate the Cardinals."
Phillips promptly went 0 for 5 in a 7-3 loss to the Cards. Yet, this is the kind of emotion I like to see in baseball. The advanced stats have their purpose and their place, but in the end, this is a game played by humans (and umpired by humans). Hell, even a thousand years into the future humans still play blernsball instead of humans. I like to see rivals sounding off, even if it was a little over the top. As baseball season overlaps into football season, the pennant races are a great way to keep eyes on the sport until the playoffs arrive.

The Reds currently are clinging to a 1 game lead. Here's hoping the NL Central race comes down to the final few weeks of the season, and the rivalry intesifies. Just don't expect the best player in this situation, Albert Pujols, to throw any gas on the fire:
"You need to bring your 'A' game to the field."

No comments: