Friday, August 1

Shall We Dance?



In Shall We Dance, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers are forced to deal with gossip and lies in the media. They were infinitely more graceful than Packer's GM Ted Thompson and estranged QB Bret Favre have been in dealing with a similar scenario, and they were on wheels! The movie was Astaire and Rogers seventh together. This would be the seventeenth season for Favre and the Packers, in both cases the fans (and the participants) have grown tired of the pairings. The stories of both revolve around a couple who wants to break up, but hates to think of life without the other. Somehow, the Gershwin number, Let's Call the Whole Thing Off, fits perfectly for Thompson and Favre:

Things have come to a pretty pass
Our romance is growing flat,
Cuz you like this and the other,
while I go for this and that.
Goodness knows what the end will be
Oh I don't know where I'm at
It's plain to see we two will never make one
Something must done

You say Favre, and I say Fav-re
You say rehire, and I say retire
Favre, Fav-re
Rehire, Retire
Let's call the whole thing off

You like O-fence, and I like offense
You like D-fence, and I like defense
O-fence, offense
D-fence, defense
Oh, let's call the whole thing off
But oh, if we call the whole thing off
then we must part
And, oh, if we ever part, then that might break my heart

So, if you like staying
and I'd prefer trading
In Green Bay you're staying
and I'll give up trading
For we, know we, need each other so we,
Better call the calling off off
Oh, let's call the whole thing off

No comments: