Thursday, May 7

As Of 12:51 PM EST I Am Willing to Believe Manny

I know I said I was taking it easy this week because of work but the overload of sports has given me the strength to go through my work quicker than expected, that and the commissioner is out of town for the rest of the week. No doubt everyone has heard the news about Manny's failed drug test and subsequent 50 game suspension and reaction has come quick with many people rushing to condem Ramirez and say they knew all along the bravado with which he played the game and dealt with the media was not naturally eminating from him. Here is the statement released by ManRam:

“Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me. Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now. I do want to say one thing; I’ve taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons. I want to apologize to Mr. McCourt, Mrs. McCourt, Mr. Torre, my teammates, the Dodger organization, and to the Dodger fans. LA is a special place to me and I know everybody is disappointed. So am I. I’m sorry about this whole situation.”

It really comes down to personal choice on whether to trust Manny on this or not. I was always of the thought that Manny was decently sized when he came into the league, his numbers are pretty consistent(especially at this stage of his career), he's always been a great hitter, and he was of the thought that he doesn't need them to compete based on his arrogance. Of course, I would love to know if he was on the 2003 list like Canseco says he is and the Florida doctor thing makes it seem kind of sketchy. Sitting firmly on top of the fence I would say to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point in time.

[Update: Based on the substance, human chorionic gonadotropin, starting to not look so good.]

[Second Update: Oye]

No comments: